The Learning Center is located in the heart of Liberty Village, in a building part of an old corn cannery originally built in the early 1900’s. In 1972 David Mclaughlin, artist, metalworker, engineer and educator, bought the complex and transformed it into a multi-purpose workshop and salvage yard. With David’s passing, the community began to wonder about the future of this historic space.
In the summer of 2012, a group of community members approached the Cannery Estate with the vision of transforming part of the Cannery into a community learning center. Since that time, the Water Street Learning Center community has been collaborating with the Cannery Estate to renovate the “lower building” of the Cannery.
When renovations began in 2013, the Cannery was a shell filled with thousands of pounds of scrap metal and miscellanea. Through the tireless efforts of community volunteers, the bottom floor of the lower building saw tremendous renovation: new slab floors were poured, walls were erected, an electric system was installed, rooms were built and painted, and doors and window inserts were installed. Outside work focused on removing scrap metal and constructing a exterior space to support the WSLC community. The work has been and continues to be supported by the generosity of WSLC volunteers and financial sponsors.
Follow us on Instagram to see the progress we're making as it happens!
We are extremely proud of the strides we have taken, but the WSLC still has a lot of work to do in order to finish our space. For example, the building needs a well, energy-efficient windows, and a proper kitchen.
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO SUPPORT OUR ONGOING RENOVATIONS!
Consider helping us out by volunteering during one of our work days. We always welcome folks willing to lend a hand!
To volunteer or for more information our projects and progress, please be in touch below.